Monday, February 15, 2010

Jambalaya

Crockpot Jambalaya
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chicken broth
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried parsley
2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 pound frozen cooked shrimp without tails

Directions:
In a slow cooker, mix the chicken, sausage, tomatoes with juice, onion, green bell pepper, celery, and broth.  Season with oregano, parsley, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, and thyme.

Cover and cook 7-8 hours on Low, or 3-4 hours on High.  Stir in the shrimp during the last 30 minutes of cook time.

My tweaks:  Chicken---I always cook chicken fully before putting in the crockpot...just my little quirk.  I shredded it instead of cubing, too...another quirk.
Sausage---Can't get andouille sausage and some websites suggested Polska Kielbasa..so I did...but it was kinda  bland I thought...not sure I will even add it next time
Tomatoes...make sure you get diced, I mistakenly got crushed and it made too much juice.
Spices....I used the oregano and creole seasoning but didn't have the others...and I just felt like the taste wasn't as hot and spicy as it should be...so I need to make sure to use all those next time.
Other....Barry suggested I use okra in it next time, I am not sure if that is jambalaya or gumbo, but worth a try.  We both really enjoyed it and is (except for the sausage) a healthy one-dish meal served over rice.
I took a picture but had the camera set on video, so didn't get a still before putting the rest in the fridge...I might get one of it next time I serve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment