This really reminds me of the hickory nut cakes Mama used to make...wonder if she put coconut in them...will have to remember to ask her. She made hickory nut pies...kinda like pecan pie, but SO much better. I haven't had a hickory nut since my kids were little. How sad.
Cake recipe:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour two 8" round pans or one 9X13.
2. In a large bowl, blend 1 18oz moist white cake mix (I only use Duncan Hines), 1 1/4 cups water, 4 eggs, and 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 4 minutes. Stir in 2 cups shredded coconut, and 1 cup chopped pecans. Pour into prepared pans.
3. Bake for 35 minutes, or until done. Cool completely.
I frosted this one with Duncan Hines white frosting (not the whipped) and sprinkled with chopped pecans, but you could use cream cheese, or make your own. I think this would make great cupcakes, either topped with pecans or coconut.
It is so good that I am taking half of it to Jennie's because I sure don't want it setting around here.
I had forgotten about the hickory nut cake. Loved to go hunting for hickory nuts with our dad. He would get permission from a farmer to hunt in his woods. Remember Ellis Thompson??? He was a good friend of our Dad's. We would gather big bags of them to last all winter (Hickory nut fudge, to eat right out of the shell and the cakes and pies). We also would gather black walnuts for the same purpose. Nothing beats black walnut fudge. But they were harder to find.
ReplyDeleteYes, I remember how pretty that farm was...and being autumn, gold, red, and orange leaves were everywhere...a permanent Kodak moment in my mind. I think Joanna and Donnie McDonald bought that farm and built a house on it several years ago.
ReplyDelete